Jack and Ellen Batchelor from Paradise Orchids, Howey-in-the-Hills filled five tables with a wonderful display of colourful orchids. Jack then gave us a very informative and entertaining talk about how to care for them.
Jack highlighted the five requirements for successful orchid growing.
- Light – indirect light is best
- Humidity – good air circulation with 45-65% humidity under plant
- Fertiliser – Miracle Gro or Peters 20-20-20
- Water – water when dry, test with the lead of a pencil
- Warmth – should not go below 65deg
More notes are in the Minutes.
After the talk, members were able to purchase some of Ellen and Jack’s lovely orchids. Many were names varieties with details of when they were last potted. Orchids should only be re-potted every 2-3 years.